Frequently Asked Questions

I have junior/senior level standing.  How do I sign up for Warren Writing?
All students with more than 90 units are blocked from enrolling via WebReg.  Email the Warren Writing Program office, and include your PID in the email, to be pre-authorized and therefore allowed to enroll. Please note that the Program office checks email and offers pre-authorizations during university business hours only. Contact the office well in advance of your registration time for prompt clearance.

What are my chances of getting into the class if I'm on the waitlist?
Warren Writing classes fill up quickly and very few students drop, especially fall quarter. Students who are first on the waitlist have about a 50% chance of getting into the course.  The likelihood of getting in drops for every student on the waitlist thereafter.

I really need to take Warren Writing this quarter.  Is there any way to change the enrollment to 16?
So that our students will receive the best writing education that we can deliver, we’ve capped Warren Writing Classes at 15. 

I am in ELWR1 or 2B and would like to enroll into next quarter's WCWP 10A. How can I enroll?
You must pass both ELWR1 and/or 2B (with a grade C or better) and the Portfolio review in order to meet the pre-requisites for WCWP 10A. You cannot enroll until these pre-requisites are completed.

Where can I get additional help on a writing assignment?

The UCSD Writing + Critical Expression Hub offers assistance on all Warren Writing assignments.  You can make an appointment with a writing mentor, drop-in during designated hours, or attend group workshops.  For more information, see their website

Enrollment Information


First-year and second-year students can WebReg for Warren Writing 10A and 10B classes during their WebReg appointments. Register online via WebReg

To enroll in WCWP 10A, students will first need to fulfill the ELWR requirement. To fulfill this requirement, students will have to take the AWPE (Analytical Writing Placement Exam) or take a writing course pre-matriculation with a C or better. Students can take a community college course to fulfill the ELWR requirement and will not have to take the AWPE test.

Freshmen can take a community college course prior to entering UCSD in order to fulfill the ELWR requirement, but they cannot use community college courses in place of either Warren Writing course.

Students who have completed more than 90 cumulative units must email the Warren College Writing Program office for department authorization in order to register.

Wait-List Information:

UCSD has an automated wait-list procedure. Being on a wait-list means that if and when a space becomes available, the enrollment system will automatically enroll you in the course. When a space is available, you will be moved from the wait-list into the class and be sent an e-mail notification. If you add your name to a wait-list but you are not eligible to enroll in the course (because you, for example, lack a prerequisite) and a space becomes available, you will be dropped from the wait-list.

If you are on a wait-list for one of the sections of WCWP 10A or 10B, you must attend all sessions in order to be added to the class. Please call the Warren Writing main office if you have any questions.


Because the purpose of the Warren College Writing requirement is to prepare students for university writing, Warren College students benefit from completing this requirement before upper-division course work is attempted.  Therefore, priority enrollment is given to first- and second-year students (who have earned 90 units or fewer). All students with more than 90 units are blocked from enrolling via WebReg.  Email the Warren Writing Program office to be pre-authorized and therefore allowed to enroll. 

Enrollment Restriction:

Warren Writing courses are for Warren College students only.  Other college and university students may not take Warren Writing.

Transfer Students

Warren Writing Requirements for Transfer Students

Warren College students who have entered UCSD as first-year students are required to take Warren Writing 10A and Warren Writing 10B to fulfill their general education writing requirements.

Transfer students who have completed TAG, IGETC, or a reciprocity agreement from a four-year institution are required to take only Warren Writing 100.

Students who transfer to UCSD from California community colleges without having completed a TAG or IGETC agreement must take both Warren Writing 10A and Warren Writing 100.


Contact Warren College