Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

I have junior/senior level standing.  How do I sign up for Warren Writing?
Students with upper-division standing should no longer be blocked from enrolling in 10A or 10B. If you do face difficulty registering, please email the Warren Writing Program office, and include your PID in the email. Please note that the Program office checks email and offers pre-authorizations during university business hours only. Contact the office well in advance of your registration time for prompt clearance if it is needed.

What are my chances of getting into the class if I'm on the waitlist?
Warren Writing classes fill up quickly and very few students drop, especially fall quarter. Students who are first on the waitlist have about a 50% chance of getting into the course. The likelihood of getting in drops for every student on the waitlist thereafter.

I really need to take Warren Writing this quarter.  Is there any way to change the enrollment to 16?
So that our students will receive the best writing education that we can deliver, we’ve capped Warren Writing Classes at 15. Furthermore, most of our classrooms have a seat limit of 15 that is determined by the university fire marshall. Subsequently, we are unable to make any exceptions on this class-size limit.

*Please note: It is necessary you successfully complete 10B by Spring quarter of your junior year to ensure there is no delay to your graduation, and highly encouraged that you complete it sooner to prevent any unexpected impediments, as 10A, 10B, Phil/Poli 27 and 28 MUST be completed in sequence. There is no exception to this rule, not even for concurrent enrollment, and unecessary delay will impact your time to degree.

I am in AWP1 or 2B and would like to enroll into next quarter's WCWP 10A. How can I enroll?
You must pass AWP 1 or AWP 2B with a grade C or better to meet the pre-requisite for WCWP 10A. You cannot enroll in WCWP 10A until this pre-requisite is met and your academic record reflects that you have fulfilled ELWR.

I took and passed AP English in high school, can I wave 10A and go right into 10B?
If you are admitted as an incoming freshman you must complete 10A before taking 10B. There is no ability to petition out of the course.

I'm a transfer student and I already took two English classes at my previous institution, Do I have to take 100?
If you are admitted as a transfer student you must complete 100. There is no ability to petition out of the course.

Where can I get additional help on a writing assignment?
The UCSD Writing + Critical Expression Hub offers assistance on all Warren Writing assignments. You can make an appointment with a writing mentor, drop-in during designated hours, or attend group workshops. For more information, see their website

Enrollment Information


Students can register on WebReg for Warren Writing 10A and 10B classes during their WebReg appointments. Register online via WebReg

To enroll in WCWP 10A, students will first need to fulfill the ELWR requirement. To fulfill this requirement, students will have to take the AWPE (Analytical Writing Placement Exam) or take a writing course pre-matriculation (AWP1 or AWP 2A/B) with a C or better. Students can take a community college course to fulfill the ELWR requirement and will not have to take the AWPE test.

Freshmen can take a community college course prior to entering UCSD in order to fulfill the ELWR requirement, but they cannot use community college courses in place of either Warren Writing course.

Because our courses are impacted, we recommend you register during your first pass and you take both 10A and 10B as soon as you are able to prevent delay in your time to degree.

Wait-List Information:

UCSD has an automated wait-list procedure. Being on a wait-list means that if and when a space becomes available, the enrollment system will automatically enroll you in the course. When a space is available, you will be moved from the wait-list into the class and be sent an e-mail notification. If you add your name to a wait-list but you are not eligible to enroll in the course (because you, for example, lack a prerequisite) and a space becomes available, you will be dropped from the wait-list.

If you are on a wait-list for one of the sections of WCWP 10A or 10B, you must attend all sessions in order to be added to the class. Please call or email the Warren Writing main office if you have any questions.

Please be aware that if you are on the waitlist for a summer session course, and then enroll in the same course for fall quarter, you will be automatically dropped from the waitlist for the summer course.

Enrollment Restriction:

Warren Writing courses are for Warren College students only. Other college and university students, including Extension and visiting students, may not take Warren Writing.

Transfer Students

Warren Writing Requirements for Transfer Students

Warren College students who have entered UCSD as first-year students are required to take Warren Writing 10A and Warren Writing 10B to fulfill their general education writing requirements.

Transfer students who have completed TAG, IGETC, or a reciprocity agreement from a four-year institution are required to take only Warren Writing 100.

Students who transfer to UCSD from California community colleges without having completed a TAG or IGETC agreement may have to take both Warren Writing 10A and Warren Writing 100. Please contact Academic Advising to determine whether you need to complete both courses, or just 100.