Area Studies (AS) - B.S. Engineering Majors Only
Two Area Studies are required:
- Each must contain three four-unit courses, two of which must be upper-division (numbered 100+)
- Must be non-contiguous (unrelated) to the major and to each other
- At least one course from each AS must be taken at UC San Diego
- Courses may be taken Pass/Not Pass
- No more than two language courses may be applied to an AS
- Upper-division major or minor courses may not overlap with AS or other general-education requirements
- Special Studies Courses 195 may not be used for any AS
- Rady School of Management (MGT) courses may not be used - see an academic counselor if pursuing a Business minor in lieu of an AS
The major, combined with your two AS, must represent all three disciplines:
- Humanities and Fine Arts
- Natural Sciences, Math, and Engineering
- Social Sciences
Contact Warren Advising during walk-in advising or online at http://vac.ucsd.edu to have your choices added to your degree audit. We recommend declaring by the end of your second year.
B.S. Engineering Majors
CSE (B.S. only):
Computer Science: Bioinformatics
ECE (B.S. Only):
Choose one Area Study from each of the two disciplines listed below
Humanities and Fine Arts
* Specialized AS require specific courses.
You may use a minor in lieu of an AS if it is non-contiguous to your major and your other AS:
- An interdisciplinary minor may count in lieu of an AS if at least four of the minor courses are from the discipline in which the AS will be replaced.
- A business minor may be used in lieu of a Social Science AS only when specific, allowable courses are chosen. See a Warren academic counselor for more information.
There may not be any overlap between major and minor coursework at the upper-division level.
Interdisciplinary Area Studies
Requires three courses, two of which must be upper division.
All three courses may be from different departments within the same discipline, either Humanities and Fine Arts or Social Sciences.
Language courses, if allowed for the PofC, count as humanities/fine arts courses:
- A maximum of two language courses can be used for a Humanities and Fine Arts interdisciplinary AS
- Language courses may not be used for a Social Sciences Area Study
See the department/program websites for approved courses:
- Chinese Studies: http://chinesestudies.ucsd.edu/courses/
- Critical Gender Studies: https://cgs.ucsd.edu/courses/
- European Studies: See an academic counselor.
- Film Studies: https://marshall.ucsd.edu/programs/film-studies-minor.html
- Japanese Studies: https://japan.ucsd.edu/courses/
- Jewish Studies: http://jewishstudies.ucsd.edu/courses/course_listing.html
- Latin American Studies: http://las.ucsd.edu/courses/
- Middle East Studies: http://caesar.ucsd.edu/middle-east/courses.html
- Religion, Study of: http://religion.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/courses/
Specialized Humanities and Fine Arts Area Studies
Requires one foreign language course (a minimum of four units) in one language.
Requires two upper-division Humanities and Fine Arts courses in the study of that culture.
You may have difficulty finding upper-division courses in the study of the culture of some languages. See an academic counselor with questions.
Requires any combination of three four-unit courses, two of which must be upper-division, from:
- Theatre and Dance
- Visual Arts
Other courses, if applicable, may be petitioned prior to enrollment. Linguistics/Language courses are not allowed.
Specialized Social Science Area Studies
- ENVR 30
- ENVR 110
One course from:
- Anthropology: Archaeology: ANAR 182
- Anthropology: Sociocultural Anthropology: ANSC 160
- Communication: COMM 171
- Economics: ECON 131, 132, 145
- Environmental Studies: ENVR 102, 140
- Ethnic Studies: ETHN 103
- Political Studies: POLI 104E, 125A, 162
- Sociology: SOCI 149
- Urban Studies and Planning: USP 124, 144, 171
- SOCI 40
- One course from: USP 143, 144, 145, 147
One course from:
- Anthropology: Biological Anthropology: ANBI 100*, 141
- Anthropology: Sociocultural Anthropology: ANSC 100*, 146, 164
- Cognitive Science: COGS 174
- Economics: ECON 140, 141
- Ethnic Studies: ETHN 102, 142, 157
- Psychology: PSYC 104, 124, 132, 134,154, 155, 163, 168, 169, 172, 179, 181, 188
- Sociology: SOCI 107, 113, 120T*, 134E, 135, 136E-F, 138, 143, 159*
*ANBI 100, ANSC 100, SOCI 120T and SOCI 159 must be health related. Approved topics will be listed on the program website.
- HDP 1
Two upper-division Human Development Program courses from:
- Human Development Program
- Linguistics (LIGN)
- POLI 40 or SOCI 50
- LAWS 101
One course from:
- Anthropology: Sociocultural Anthropology: ANSC 100*, 140
- Critical Gender Studies: CGS 106, 107
- Communication: COMM 114F, 114M, 114N
- Economics: ECON 118, 119
- Environmental Studies: ENVR 110
- Ethnic Studies: ETHN 152
- Law and Society: LAWS 102S, 105
- Linguistics: LIGN 105, 176
- Political Science: POLI 104A-B-C-D-F-I-L-M-N, 140A, 145A, 150A
- Psychology: PSYC 162
- Sociology: SOCI 120T*, 140, 140F, 141, 142, 144, 145, 146, 152, 159*, 160E, 163
- Urban Studies and Planning: USP 121, 122, 124