Skip to main content

Bear by Tim Hawkinson

Residential Responsibilities 

The following guidelines for tenant expectations and responsibilities within the Warren Residential Complex have been established to protect the health, safety, and social well-being of all community members; to provide a climate conducive to study; to discourage dishonesty, vandalism, and personal abuse; and to avoid infringement on the rights of others. Each resident is responsible for his or her actions and is entitled to a safe, secure, and mature atmosphere in which to reside and to pursue his or her educational objectives. Any violation of the Residential Procedures, or disrupting or impeding a staff member’s ability to enforce these regulations, may result in judicial action addressed in the Student Conduct Code and/or landlord/tenant actions addressed in the UC San Diego Single Undergraduate Housing Contract.

1. Appliance Responsibilities

a. Appliances: Air conditioners and appliances with open electrical coils and electric grills are prohibited. All small electrical appliances must be UL approved and subject to the electrical capacity of the room.

 b. Cooking: The Warren Residential Halls do not have kitchens or kitchenettes. Only microwave ovens with a capacity of 1.5 cubic feet or less and a maximum of 700 watts are allowed.

c. Refrigerators: Only refrigerators with a capacity smaller than five (5) cubic feet with a safe UL-approved electrical system are allowed in residential halls. Apartments already have a refrigerator.

2. Cleaning and Custodial Services

Should an area of the residential facility serviced by Custodial Services need attention, call HDH Customer Service at (858) 534-2600.  After hours EMERGENCY-ONLY clean-ups should be called in to HDH Customer Service at (858) 534-2600. Emergency situations include but are not limited to: blood, vomit or other bodily fluids, broken glass, or any other items that have the potential to cause further harm.

Residents and their apartment/suitemates are solely responsible for the standard of cleanliness maintained in their apartment/suite. Custodians will clean bathrooms and common areas of apartments/suites. Residents are responsible for picking up their belongings so that custodians can perform their essential responsibilities. The University reserves the right to suspend cleaning services at any time. Residents are responsible for the disposal of all trash and recycling; trash disposal and recycling areas are located on each floor in the residential halls and at the dumpsters along the cul-de-sacs of every apartment building.

Stoves should be cleaned with soap and warm water after every use. The oven should be cleaned weekly with a commercial cleaner so that any spilled food does not become baked on. The ovens in the apartments are not self-cleaning. Top burners and the crumb tray should be cleaned weekly. Lining the drip pans and the oven floor with aluminum foil will preclude the necessity of heavy cleaning. Broil with the oven door slightly open to prevent burning.

3. Damages and Excessive Cleaning

Residents may be held financially responsible for damages (other than normal wear and tear) to their apartment/suite and its furnishings. When a damage report is received, the University will make an assessment of the damages and repair costs. The Residential Life Office will attempt to identify the individual(s) responsible for the damage and will bill the person(s) directly.

If the responsible individual(s) cannot be identified, all residents of the apartment/suite may be billed accordingly.  Residents may appeal the charges to the Residential Appeals Committee.

When residents check out of their apartment/suite, it should be in the same condition as when they moved in.  See your residential housing contract for additional details. If the apartment/suite requires excessive cleaning after check-out, the resident(s) will be charged a cleaning fee. There will not be a charge for normal wear and tear of the apartment/suite. There will, however, be a charge for any damage such as damage from bottle caps, patched holes, etc. Residents are not to perform any repairs or modifications to University property. There will be a charge for repair and painting. Residents should be aware that they are responsible for any damages and/or cleaning that require attention.  Excessive damage and/or cleaning may result in landlord/tenant action by the University.

4. Earthquake Safety

In the event of an earthquake, get under a heavy table, desk, or bed, in an interior corner or under an interior doorframe, well away from windows, especially in a high-rise building. Do not run to an exit; the stairway might be damaged and crowded with people. Remain calm. Do not use a telephone except to report a casualty or fire. When it is safe to vacate the premises, move to Parking Lot P502 for assembly/check-in and further instructions. Emergency maps are located near the elevator of the first floor of every building.  For more information on the University’s emergency plan, visit

5. Fire Safety

a. Regulations: Always practice absolute fire safety in your apartment/suite. Keep these items in mind:

i. Never pull a fire alarm as a joke. This is a felony, and will result in an immediate loss of housing privileges and referral to your college’s Student Affairs Office for college-level conduct action.

ii. Do not keep newspapers or combustibles stored for extended periods of time. Use the recycling receptacles located throughout the complex.

iii. When cooking, make sure that pot handles, potholders, towels, paper, etc. are not too near the cooking element.

iv. Cooking on open coil burners, hot plates, and any other small cooking appliances is prohibited in the residential halls. See Appliance Restrictions (#1) for further details.

v. Do not leave the apartment while cooking.

vi. Barbeques or any other type of grilling device are not permitted on balconies.

vii. Do not hang anything on, tamper with, or test the heat sensor with an open flame in your apartment/suite. Any careless behavior that results in building evacuation, sprinkler or alarm activation will result in monetary damage fee(s), as well as disciplinary action. You will be responsible for any water damage from sprinklers, damage to fire safety equipment, and any injuries that may occur in an evacuation. Immediately report any heat sensor unit that appears loose or disconnected to HDH Customer Service at 858-534-2600.

viii. If a fire is caused by electricity, do not put water on the flames. (This may result in electrical shock.)  Go to your breaker box and turn off all electricity. Fire extinguishers are located in fire hose cabinets in every building on every floor.

ix. If a fire is caused by grease from cooking, do not put water on the flame. This will cause a flash fire and possible injury to yourself. If possible, place a lid over the fire or use baking soda to extinguish the flames. Familiarize yourself with this location. 

x. Should a fire alarm sound, immediately leave your apartment/suite and evacuate the building to Parking Lot 502 (Warren’s evacuation location). Reluctance or failure to do so will result in judicial action.

xi. Torching or lighting any bulletin boards or any materials on fire is strictly prohibited and will result in conduct action. This behavior will be treated as arson, and is a felony. Students found responsible for such behavior may be dismissed from the University.

xii. DO NOT KEEP FLAMMABLES INSIDE your apartment/suite or on the balcony.

xiii. Find the location of the nearest fire hose cabinet. Fire extinguishers are located in the fire hose cabinets in every building on every floor.

b. Procedures: The fire alarm system in the Warren Residential Complex includes both smoke detectors and heat sensors in each apartment/suite. Suites, Douglas, and Goldberg also have sprinklers. It is illegal to tamper in any way with this equipment.

Treat any alarm as if there were a fire.  If you hear a fire alarm in your apartment, suite, or building, you should do the following as quickly and orderly as possible:

i. Leave your apartment/suite immediately, locking the door behind you. Be sure to put on closed toe shoes and carry your key(s).

ii. Use the stairways only. Never use elevators when evacuating the building in the event of an emergency. Walk; do not run. Leave the building via the nearest exit, and assemble at least twenty-five feet away from the building to allow access by emergency personnel.  Do not block the access of police, fire fighters, or University staff to the building. Warren’s emergency evacuation location is Parking Lot 502 (the parking lot above Equality Lane).

iii. Do not attempt to re-enter the building until the alarm is turned off and you have received official notification that it is safe to re-enter the building. If you find yourself locked out, a staff member will let you back into your apartment/suite. Re-entering prior to authorization is against residential procedures and is subject to conduct action. For your protection, it is a violation of regulations (and the principle of self-preservation) to remain in a building while a fire alarm is sounding. The alarm will not be turned off until the building is completely evacuated and the San Diego Fire Department is satisfied that the problem has been resolved. Failure to evacuate the building will result in conduct action.

iv. Do not, under any circumstances, test the system on your own. Check with the Residential Life Office with any questions you may have.

c. If You Discover A Fire Do The Following:

i. Pull the nearest fire alarm, and call the UC San Diego Police Department at 858-534-HELP (4357). Give your name, location, building name and apartment/suite number if appropriate. Do not end the call until the dispatch has enough information to respond appropriately. Do not attempt to fight the fire.

ii. Close all doors leading to the fire and immediately evacuate the area.

iii. Report all details to police or fire officials. For your own preparedness, you should familiarize yourself with the locations of fire extinguishers in the event of an emergency. Fire extinguishers are located in fire hose boxes in every building on every floor.

d. The following behaviors and items are strictly prohibited in the Warren Residential Complex:

i. Tampering with, damaging, or removing fire extinguishers or any part of a fire alarm system (including smoke or heat detectors and alarms) is strictly prohibited. Tampering with fire protection equipment or violating regulations is illegal and will result in conduct action, damage fees and may result in criminal charges.

ii. False reports of fire or other dangerous conditions (except those resulting from reasonable error/accident), failure to report fires, or any interference with the response of University and/or City officials to such emergency calls.  Any of the above may result in dismissal from the University and other penalties judged appropriate to the act. False alarms limit the response of the fire department to emergencies elsewhere in the community.  It may even pull equipment and personnel from real fires.

iii. Failure to evacuate the buildings during the sounding of a fire alarm or upon the direction of a University staff member, or attempting to re-enter the building without the permission of the proper authorities is strictly prohibited.

iv. Careless or improper use of appliances or other materials that present direct threat of fire or which could ignite a fire is strictly prohibited. Also prohibited are such acts as setting fires in trash cans, dumpsters, and pranks involving lighter fluid or any other flammable materials.

v. Possession or use of firearms, explosives, fireworks, firecrackers, bottle rockets, or other explosives or highly flammable materials is strictly prohibited.

vi. Use of extension cords that are not three-wire grounded, terminating in a single receptacle and sized adequately to handle the load applied is strictly prohibited. Multi-top adapters, “cube caps,” and similar devices are not allowed. These items create potential fire hazards and might also result in damage to radios, stereos, televisions, etc. The University is not liable for such damage. A power strip with a built-in breaker should be used in place of an extension cord.

vii. Tampering with, misuse of, or damage to University provided Ethernet or Wi-Fi equipment.

6. Furniture

Please treat the furniture with respect. Do not leave it outside, or use it in any way other than its intended use. A minimum fee of $50 will be charged for any furniture left outside. If furniture is damaged or destroyed, students will be billed for repairs or replacement.  All furniture must stay in the apartment/suite; it cannot be stored anywhere else.

7. Garbage Disposal

It is essential that the disposal be used wisely. There are certain items that should NEVER be put down the disposal: seeds, bones, rice, hard-leafed fruits or vegetable such as artichokes, celery, etc. The disposal is for soft garbage only. Remember to run cold water at high pressure every time the disposal is running.

8. Housing Contract and Housing Vacancies

a. Housing Contract: Visit the Housing website for additional information:

b. Housing Vacancies: Residents are not permitted to keep a double room as a single with no additional charge. Vacancies within the complex will be consolidated at the discretion of the Residential Life Office. Reasonable attempts will be made to give students adequate notice.

9. Inspections

Routine health, safety, and maintenance inspections will be made on a quarterly basis by the Residential Life Staff, and yearly by the Environment, Health, and Safety department. At least twenty-four hours’ notice will be given to students prior to all inspections. Apartments/suites may also be inspected if a health or safety emergency exists as determined by the Associate Dean of Student Affairs/ Director of Residence Life and/or other authorities.

If conditions are found to exist in a student’s apartment/suite that require immediate correction, the inspector will leave a written notification of the conditions requiring immediate attention and a specific time for re-inspection of the apartment/suite. If the condition has not been corrected at the time of re-inspection, fines and disciplinary actions will be imposed. The most common areas requiring attention are the kitchen (stove and refrigerator), toilet, and improper use of extension cords. If students clean these areas on a regular basis, they should have no trouble maintaining an acceptable level of cleanliness. NOTE: These inspections are not intended as searches. However, if prohibited items or Student Conduct Code violations are seen in a student’s apartment/suite, appropriate action will be taken.

10. Insurance

The University is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property in the residential halls or apartments due to fire, theft, water, power outages, or other causes. Residents are urged to provide their own personal insurance. Students should consult their parents to see if they are covered under their homeowner’s policy. Some items will require additional coverage such as computers or jewelry.  The best insurance against theft is to always keep your apartment/suite/room locked and carry your key. Report thefts and other crimes to the Campus Police Department at (858) 534-HELP (4357).  A police report is usually required to make an insurance claim.

11. Keys

You will be issued one key to your student iID will be encoded to give you access to the elock on your apartment or residential hall building and suite and a key to your bedroom when you check in.  For your own convenience and security, always lock your door and carry your key(s) with you.  Per your housing contract, lock changes are required when keys are reported lost or stolen.  New keys may be picked up at the Residential Life Office.   Refer to #12 Lockouts.

If you lose your bedroom key, you will be charged for a replacement. You are not allowed to have keys duplicated. Nor should you give your ID or key to non-residents. Students who are found to have done so may be charged for lock replacement and will also be subject to conduct action.

12. Lockouts

Residents locked out of their contracted HDH living space may request lockout assistance at any time.

  1. With the exception of University Holidays/Closures, between the hours of 8A.M. - 11P.M. (M-F) and 9A.M. - 11P.M. (Saturday, Sunday), residents may receive lockout assistance at no charge by visiting the Warren Residential Life Office or contacting the RA on Duty Phone, (858) 692-8635.
  2. Between the hours of 11P.M. - 8A.M. (M-F), 11P.M. - 9A.M. (Saturday, Sunday), or on University Holidays, residents may call 858-534-4357 and request after hours lockout assistance from UC San Diego Police.  Residents’ student accounts will be charged a $25 fee for each request to cover the cost of dispatching staff and for the administrative cost associated with the service.  There is no grace period, appeal process, or fee waiving exception to after hours requests.  Lockouts by UCPD can generally be handled within a few minutes but you may be asked to wait up to an hour or longer.

Residents who have lost their University-issued physical door key will be charged a $10 fee to their student accounts to cover the cost of making a duplicate key.  This fee is in addition to any fees associated with an after-hours lockout assistance request and there is no grace period, appeal process, or fee waiving exception to this fee.  

Residents who have lost their UC San Diego Identification and whose residence uses electronic locks must obtain a replacement card from Card Services and then have their ID re-encoded at their Residence Life Office within 72 hours, except University holidays.    Any fees associated with a replacement identification are in addition to any fees associated with after-hours lockout assistance and there is no grace period, appeal process, or fee waiving exception to after hours requests.

13. Lost and Found

Items found in the residential complex they should be turned in to the Residential Life Office or the Campus Police Department.

14. Maintenance

If there is a need to have maintenance work done, visit the HDH website to enter a Fix-It Request:  If there is a maintenance emergency, call HDH Customer Service at (858) 534-2600. There is someone available 24 hours a day to take requests for maintenance. Regular maintenance (such as light bulb replacements) will be done during the day, but emergencies will be handled as soon as possible. Emergencies include: electrical problems, non- functional e-locks, outages, broken pipes, toilet overflows, broken refrigerators, fires, floods, etc.

15. Move-in/Move-out Inspection of Room Inventory Checklist

When students check in to their apartment or suite, they are required to complete the on- line Move-in/Move-out Inventory Checklist. They should carefully note any missing or defective furnishings and any existing damage to the apartment/suite. It is imperative that the form be completed promptly and accurately, as they can be held financially responsible for any discrepancies between what is marked on the form and the condition of their apartment/suite when they check out. Inventory forms should be completed no later than 7 days after a resident moves in to their space. 

16. Moving Out

If students are moving out of their apartment/suite prior to the end of the academic year, they must first apply for a contract termination application on the housing portal. Once approved, you should contact the administrative assistant in the Residential Life office to go over check out procedures. Check out will also include a move-out appointment time with their RA after all of their belongings have been moved out of their space. Students are financially responsible for damages and missing items as well as cleanliness. Students must then return their key to their RA upon move-out. Failure to complete proper move-out procedures will result in a $45 fee for improper checkout. Failure to return their keys will result in a key replacement charge. Refer to the housing contract for more information.

Residents must vacate their apartment/suite no later than the time and date specified in the housing contract and reiterated in the closing memo from the Residential Life Office. The closing memo is emailed at least twice to students and is posted on the Warren Residential Life website during the month of May.  Residents will be billed for move-outs past the deadline. Once students have completed their move-out requirements and have returned their keys, they are no longer permitted in the building. Students found in the buildings after they have completed their move-out requirements will be billed for late check out and will face disciplinary action.

Residents are asked to complete a Shared Responsibility Form that indicates who will be responsible for cleaning different areas of the apartment/suite. This is extremely important, as this will assist the Residential Life Office in assessing charges to the appropriate resident(s).

17. New Construction, Renovations and On-going General Repair Work

The University, as well as HDH, has on-going programs related to the construction of new buildings, renovations to existing buildings, occupants residing in on-campus housing. The campus is making efforts to reduce these disruptions due to new construction, renovations, or routine maintenance; however, residents should be aware that it is impossible to completely eliminate these types of activities and still meet the operational demands of the University.

During finals week of each quarter, HDH makes every effort to minimize these interruptions. This is done by voluntarily limiting work that is specifically requested by residents or work that must be performed to ensure that we are able to operate our buildings safely and provide our required services. Concerns or problems should be directed to the Residential Life Office.

18. Painting of Rooms

If a student’s bedroom or other areas in their apartment/suite need to be painted, they should submit a maintenance request by calling HDH Customer Service at (858) 534-2600. The appropriate area manager will assess the condition of their room and will arrange for a painting crew, if necessary. Students are not allowed to do any painting themselves and they will be charged a minimum fee of $25 and the appropriate repainting charges if they do so.

19. Packages

Due to the limitations of physical space, Student Mail Services is not able to accept large volumes of packages for overnight or same-day delivery. This is especially true with the high volume of general mail received during the first three weeks of each quarter. Student Mail Services will not start receiving packages until the first day of class instruction during fall quarter. Resident packages are received by the Student Mail Services and will email you when it is available for pick-up at the Trove (Price Center). A student ID is required to pick up a package. Parcels must have the student's name and PO Box # to be delivered. 

20. Parking

Please visit the Parking website or further information or call the Transportation and Parking Services Office at (858) 534-4223.

21. Pest Control & Fumigation

If you have a problem with ants, cockroaches, fleas or mice in your living area, then please submit a Fix-It request or, if it is a significnat infestation, call HDH Customer Service at 858-534-2600.

22. Phone Services

Students interested in land-line phone service will need to contact the Warren Residential Life Office for more information.

23. Public Information

Telephone numbers and P.O. box numbers of residents are given out to the public unless the student specifically requests that this information be kept confidential on tritonlink. Names, room, and apartment & suite numbers will not be released.


Please visit TritonLink for more information.

24. Room Assignments and Room Changes

New students’ room assignments are made by the Housing Administration on the basis of information provided when they returned their housing contract and confirmation payment to Housing Administration. During the succeeding years at the University, students will have the opportunity to select their own room and roommate through the annual Spring Room Selection.

Room changes requests will be available during the third week of Fall quarter. However, changing rooms should be seen as the last alternative when disagreements or differences in life-styles or values arise between roommates. Most differences can be worked out if roommates communicate openly with each other. Resident Assistants have been trained in mediation and will be happy to help students work out their differences. The Associate Dean of Student Affairs/ Director of Residence Life and Assistant Directors of Residence Life are available to help resolve roommate issues.

If all efforts to resolve difficulties between roommates are unsuccessful, the students wishing to change rooms should follow the procedures outlined below:

 1. Discuss the room change with their RA.

 2. Obtain approval from one of the Assistant Directors of Residence Life. (Approval may not be granted without prior RA/resident mediation and/or discussions.)

 3. Once a room change has been approved, you will be notified of the timeline and room change procedures. 

 4. Once approved, you will pick up your new key and access card at the Residential Life Office. Move all items out of the old room and return it to its original condition. Have the RA check the room. Return all keys to the RA upon check-out.  Bills accumulated as a result of common area damages must be settled before room changes are allowed.

There will be a $45 penalty assessed to any student who changes rooms without following these procedures. Additionally, the University has the right to require you to return to your original assignment or to cancel your housing contract.

25. Room Entry

There may be occasions when outside agencies or university officials will desire to search a student’s room. There are two sets of circumstances under which this might occur:

1. The representative possesses a search warrant.

2. One or more of the following exigent circumstances exits.

i. In case of an emergency, or when the safety of the student is in question.

ii. In an actual “hot pursuit” of a person who has been witnessed committing a crime;

iii. If there is reason to suspect that a felony is being committed on the premises or that evidence is being destroyed.

The University also reserves the right to enter a student’s room:

a) In case of an emergency, or when the safety of a student is in question, or

b) To make repairs or supply services needed for the maintenance of the area and to do occasional inspections.

In most cases, the Residential Life Office will make every reasonable attempt to notify students in advance of the need to enter their room. Please understand that when you call in a work order for maintenance to be completed in your room, you are giving the University permission to enter the designated space to make the requested repairs. Whether it is a maintenance issue or an inspection, if the personnel completing the work witness a policy violation, they are expected to report the violation of the Residential Life Office for immediate follow up.

26. Sick Trays

If students are on a meal plan, but are too ill to go to the dining facility to eat, they can have someone bring them a Get-Well Tray. Contact the Dining manager for a Sick Tray permit. Students are asked to send the person who will be getting their tray to the dining facility with their meal card and some form of photo identification. If students are picking up a Get-Well Tray, present the sick person’s meal card and the Sick Tray permit to the dining facility lobby checker when they arrive. The checker will refer them to a supervisor who will assist them. Get-Well Tray permits may be used only in a dining facility and not in Place and Market locations. For more information on Get-Well Trays, contact Dining Services.

27. Storage

Storage space is not available on campus.

28. Trash and Recycling

Accumulated trash and recyclables are both health and fire hazards. Please remove them from the apartment/suite in a timely manner. Trash and recyclables must be placed in the proper designated bins in the complex. A fee of $30 per bag will be charged for any trash or recyclables left in undesignated areas, including balconies.

29. Toilets

Do not flush feminine products, sanitary napkins, or other articles (i.e. food, paper towels, etc) down the toilet. It will become clogged, and students will be billed for the repair.